scottdpomfret

New Orleans as It Was
Charles "Pie" Dufour, Henry C. Castellanos
New Orleans after the Civil War
Justin A. Nystrom
Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland (complete: First & Second Series)
Isabella Augusta Persse (Lady Gregory)
Bright Dead Things: Poems
Ada Limon
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Mark Manson
Rajesh Parameswaran
An Artist of the Floating World
Kazuo Ishiguro

My Tender Matador: A Novel

My Tender Matador: A Novel - Pedro Lemebel, Katherine Silver This novel was a stunning history set in Pinochet's Chile. The main character is queen of her own apartment in Santiago (but to everyone else, a gentleman, a maricon, a pathetic figure). Starstruck by a handsome, educated revolutionary, she permits the Marxists to store boxes of unknown goods in her world. Over time, she develops a close connection with the handsome revolutionary, who proves to be a kind and good person, who appreciates the kindness of the queen. They get drunk, certain events happen, no one mistakes it for true love. Eventually, the revolutionaries launch their attack on Pinochet and nearly kill him, but in the aftermath all must flee.

There is so much dignity and innocence in the main character, it made me weep. The author never condescends. This is a wonderful, restrained treatment, imagining both drag queens and Pinochet himself with equal facility. Few are spared.